Haub School to Host Financial Symposium for Local Insurers
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Saint Joseph's University's Academy of Risk Management and Insurance will host an Insurance Financial Symposium on Friday, Oct. 19, from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. on campus. Area insurance professionals, actuaries and students will hear from senior partners and seasoned executives on the macro issues affecting the industry, including current market conditions, regulation, enterprise risk management, and the role of governance.
The symposium will commence with a 25-minute discussion on the state of the industry from Bill Wilt, president of Assured Research, and will be followed by three industry-relevant panel discussions.
1) The External Perspective: Senior partners and leaders from top accounting firms will examine macro issues affecting the industry.
- Jim Scanlan – National Insurance Practice Leaders, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Howard Mills – Chief Insurance Adviser, Deloitte; former Superintendent of the New York State Insurance Department
- Sean Stacy – Senior Audit Partner, KPMG
- John J. Swanick '82, '86 (MBA) – Partner, Grant Thornton LLP
2) The View from Inside: C-suite and experienced insurance directors will discuss current market conditions, potential threats to the industry, rating agency requirements, strategy, and the role of risk management with respect to insurers and boards.
- John Baily – Auditee Committee Chair, RLI Insurance, Endurance Specialty
- Mary Hennessy – Audit Chair of GeoVera Insurance Co.; ERM Committee Chair – Global Indemnity
- Sean S. Sweeney '94 (MBA) – President & Chief Operating Officer, Philadelphia Insurance Companies
- Philip V. Bancroft – Chief Financial Officer, ACE Limited
- Eric Simpson – Senior Vice President, America's P&C Practice Leader, ERM, Towers Watson
Actuarial Issues: Veteran actuaries will discuss factors affecting the income statement, balance sheet and capital of insurers.
- Gail Ross – Principal, Milliman Inc., Past President, Casualty Actuarial Society
- Bob Miccolis – Director, Deloitte
- Bruce Fell – Managing Director, Towers Watson
- Rusty Kuehn – President, Huggins Actuarial Services
The Insurance Financial Symposium will count as four hours of continuing education; the cost to attend is $99.
"This is an extremely talented roster of professionals who will be presenting on our campus," says Mike Angelina, executive director of Saint Joseph's Academy of Risk Management and Insurance. "We are very fortunate to have the industry support for our symposium; these executives are highly respected in the insurance industry have contributed significantly to the profession."
This event is part of Saint Joseph's "Thought Leadership" program which will take place during the fall 2012 and spring 2013 semesters. To register, visit http://www.sju.edu/int/academics/hsb/resources/rmi/insurancefinancialsymposium/index.html.