If you choose to report an instance of sexual violence and are interested in participating in the SJU Campus process as well as the Criminal processes, initiated by police, please see the details below for further information.
The Campus and Criminal processes described below will occur independently of each other, but may occur simultaneously.
- Report the assault by contacting Public Safety at 610-660-1111 (Public Safety can assist in contacting Police)
- The campus investigation and hearing process will be explained by the Office of Community Standards or the Office of Student Outreach & Support.
- SJU will initiate a campus investigation, and you will be notified of the outcome. Please be aware that SJU may also need to notify local police.
- SJU “contact”, “area” or “campus” restrictions may be issued to those involved through the University.
- A campus hearing will be facilitated by the Office of Community Standards (in the case of a student on student assault).
- You will be notified of the outcome of a campus hearing regardless of your level of participation.
- Report the assault by contacting local police by dialing 911. You can also contact Public Safety and they can assist in contacting police.
- You can request a Protection from Abuse Order (PFA) through Philadelphia or Montgomery Counties. Assistance with this may be available through Police, SJU Public Safety or the SJU Office of Student Outreach & Support.
- An investigation is conducted by the local police with possible assistance from SJU Public Safety.
- The completed investigation report is forwarded to the appropriate District Attorney’s Office for possible prosecution.
- Prosecution occurs in criminal court.