One of the goals of the Student Health Center (SHC) is to provide all students with high quality health care in a manner that clearly recognizes individual needs and rights. To effectively accomplish this goal, it is necessary for students and health care providers to work together. To that end, the following rights and responsibilities must be recognized and safe guarded.
As a student you have the following RIGHTS:
- To receive care and treatment with courtesy, respect, privacy and consideration.
- To receive information in terms that you can understand and to have any questions answered concerning your diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and any associated risks.
- To refuse to be examined or treated by health practitioners and to be informed of the consequences of such decisions.
- To be referred to an alternative health care source when appropriate or upon request.
- To participate actively in decisions regarding your health care and treatment.
- To know the identity of your health care provider.
- To review any medical records created and maintained by the SHC regarding your care and treatment, and to request amendments to these records in consultation with your health care provider.
- To have your medical record kept confidential and be released only with appropriate personal authorization/signed written release.
- To file a grievance with the administration of the SHC if you feel any of these rights have been violated.
As a student you have the following RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To show courtesy and consideration for the SHC staff.
- To provide complete information about immunizations, past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications and allergies to enable proper evaluation and treatment by clinicians.
- To ask questions or request clarification if needed to ensure that there is an adequate understanding of your health problem or treatment.
- To follow instructions concerning medications, follow-up visits, and other essential steps in our treatment plan, and to notify your provider if the plan cannot be followed, condition worsens or an unexpected reaction occurs.
- To keep scheduled appointments or cancel within a reasonable time ahead so that another person may be given that time slot.
- To be respectful of other patients’ privacy and confidentiality.
To accept responsibility for any charges incurred with any health care provider outside of the SHC.
You may direct any concerns about Rights and Responsibilities to the Director of the Student Health Center.