Student Life


Mental Health Emergencies

In the event of a personal emergency during normal working hours, you may call Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 610-660-1090 or come in person to A504 Merion Gardens and state the nature of the emergency to the administrative assistant.  Daily between the hours of 11:00 AM and 12:30 PM, you may also visit the Walk-In Center for Urgent Concerns, 54 LaFarge Residence Hall (private office - first floor). In either location, one of the psychologists will consult with you immediately to determine what action the crisis requires. After hours, you may call Public Safety and Security at 610-660-1111 and they will direct your call.  This may include speaking with a CAPS counselor on-call.

In emergency situations involving another student who is unwilling or unable to seek help on his/her own, faculty, staff, students or family members may call CAPS, 610-660-1090, or walk the student over to A504 Merion Gardens, and/or notify Public Safety, 610-660-1111, if the student needs to be hospitalized or restrained. After office hours, Public Safety may contact psychologists at home for consultation.

When helping someone in crisis, it is important to remember to:

  • clarify the problem
  • communicate your commitment to help                                                                                      
  • contact appropriate professional staff
  • talk in a calm, direct and reassuring manner
  • stay until assistance arrives

The following phone numbers are additional sources of help:                                                                                           

Fire or Medical Emergencies


Suicide Prevention Lifeline

1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Crisis Text Line

Text START to 741-741

SJU Rape Education Prevention Program (REPP)

610-733-9650 (24hr helpline)

Addiction Hotline


Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse

click for contact information

AIDS Hotline


Women Organized Against Rape


Domestic Violence Hotline


                                               Crisis Text Line