Student Life

Student Leadership & Activities

Frequently Asked Questions





How do I reserve a room?

No reservations are necessary for the large open area on Campion's 3rd floor which students can use for informal gatherings. For smaller meetings, students can reserve the 1st Floor Conference Room (seats approx. 15), the Student Life Conference Room (across from Rm 238, after 5pm, seats approx. 10) or the Room 212 Conference Room (seats approx. 8).  To reserve these, contact Mary Beth Mallowe at 610.660.1066

To reserve the Forum Theatre, The Campus Commons or The Perch call Mary Beth Mallowe at 610.660.1066

  • To reserve a classroom, call the Registrar's Office at 610.660.1016
  • To reserve the Multipurpose Room or Hagan Arena call Aleen Bobal at 610.660.1722
  • To reserve St. Mary's Lawn, Haub Conference Center & any other rooms on campus other than classrooms, call Laura Meade at 610.660.1053

To check availability of the Forum Theater , click here.

Why should I get involved?

  • The typical college student spends 48 hours a week in class and studying, leaving 120 hours a week for sleeping, eating and being involved on campus and in the community.  Studies show that if a student is involved in campus activities,he/she performs better scholastically than students who are not involved; are better connected with friends and peers; and are more likely to be satisfied with their social life, living environment, academic major, contact with faculty and college overall.* Additionally, involved students have an opportunity to make lifelong friends and learn new skills, such as leadership, communication, time management, conflict resolution and many others. 

How do I get involved?

  • At the beginning of every year there is a Student Activities Fair.  Typically held the first Thursday of the fall semester outside the Campion Student Center, student clubs and organizations are available with information about their group and how you might be able to get involved. 
  • If you missed the Student Activities Fair, don’t worry there are still plenty of ways to get involved.  Check out the flyers all over campus on meeting times and locations for student clubs. Most meetings are open to the entire campus and new members are always coming to groups meetings.
  • If you can’t find flyers for the student group you are interested in, stop by the Office of Student Leadership & Activities on the Third Floor of Campion and meet with any of the staff. They will get your information to the club or organization president, and the presidents will then contact you regarding their next program or event.

When can I get involved in Greek Life?

  • For first year students, Greek Life hosts recruitment early in the spring semester.  Uperclassmen can join the Greek Community either in the fall (if Fall recruitment is offered) or in the spring.
  • Each Greek organization does have a GPA requirement. For more information about Greek Recruitment, please contact the Assistant Director of Greek Life and Leadership.

How do I start a new club or organization?

  • Starting a club or organization at Saint Joseph's University starts with one simple step. Make an appointment with the Director of Student Leadership & Activities who will walk you through the steps of club recognition.  The turn around time once all paperwork is submitted is typically two to three weeks.

How do I find an advisor?

  • All student clubs and organizations must have a faculty, staff of alumni advisor.  This advisor assists in guiding the student group throughout their years at Saint Joseph's.  You should try to find someone who has interest or expertise in the mission of your organization.  If you can not think of someone who might serve as an advisor to your group, schedule a meeting with a staff member of Student Leadership & Activities to assist you in finding an advisor.

Where can I find applications for clubs or programs?

How do I get a web page for my organization?

  • Click Here
  • All student organization webpages will be audited by the Director of Student Leadership & Activities twice an academic year.

How can my club bring an event to campus?

  • Once your club has researched all the information about the event you want to bring onto campus, pick a day you would like to have your event, book a room to host the event and fill out the Program Request Form. Please attach information regarding the program (web-site information, program brochure, etc). Once completed, submit that form and the information to the Assistant Director of Campus Programs.  It will then be reviewed and approved. You will receive an e-mail notice if your program is approved or not approved.
  • If you are planning on bringing a speaker to campus, please fill out the Request for an Off-Campus Speaker form in addition to the Program Request Form. Please attach a speaker biography to the speaker form.
  • If the program you are planning has a contract that needs to be completed, please bring the contract to the Assistant Director of Campus Programs for review. No student is permitted to sign a contract for Saint Joseph's University. Typical turnaround time for contracts is at least two weeks,
  • For more information about programming, please see the Student Organization Handbook.

How can I publicize a program or event on campus?

  • Once an event is approved, you are free to publicize on campus.  All flyers, handouts, table tents or posters must be approved by the Office of Student Leadership and Activities prior to posting.  Please bring the original to Student Leadership office on the 3rd Floor of Campion, and we can approve it for you, then you can make copies. For more information on where you can post flyers and posters, please refer to the University Posting Policy.

How can I make copies?

  • All student clubs that are funded for copy cards have access to those cards in the Student Leadership and Activities Office on the 3rd Floor of Campion. Student Leadership monitors the cardsfacilitate re-filling of the cards, tracks who has possession of them. The copy cards are good for all copiers in the Campion Student Center including the color copier on the 3rd Floor of Campion. 

How do I get my copy card refilled?

  • Submit your empty copy card to the Administrative Assistant for Student Leadership and Activities and it will be refilled within a few days. 

How do I reserve a table in the cafe for a fundraiser or for program sign-ups?

  • To reserve tables in the vending area for fundraisers & sign-ups call Mary Beth Mallowe  at 610.660.1066

How do I post something on MySJU?

  • On your MySJU homepage, on the lefthand side, it says "Post a Campus Announcement".  Follow those steps, and it will be reviewed within 24 hours.

How does my club request funds for programming?

  • Each year the Student Budget Allocation Committee (SBAC) coordinates the Student Organization Budget Process.  All recognized student clubs can apply for an annual budget for the next school year.  Typically this process begins in February and will last until April. 
  • If your organization is not funded through the annual budget or is not funded for a particular event, you can petition the SBAC for additional supplemental funds. These funds are disbursed on a per-program basis and are available to all recognized student clubs. To apply for additional funds, please fill out the SBAC additional allocation form and submit it to the Director of Student Leadership & Activities  by 5:00 p.m. Friday. You will be notified via e-mail when you need to appear before the SBAC to petition for the funds.  If approved, funds will be made available within a week.

My club is funded for an event…how do I get the money?

  • All approved expenses must be paid by the student first and will be reimbursed by the Office of Student Leadership & Activities out of the student club budget.  Please make sure your expenses are approved before you purchase. Purchases made without approval will not be reimbursed.
  • If you are ordering items online, you may do so from the 3rd Floor of Campion and Stacey can put the purchase on her Purchasing card so that it will be deducted directly from your budget.

How do I get reimbursed for club expenses?

  • To submit a reimbursement form to the Office of Student Leadership & Activities you must complete the form, have your advisor sign-off on the purchase and submit the form and the original receipts to the Office of Student Leadership and Activities (you may want to make a copy of the receipts for your records). NOTE: Your advisor will be asked to sign-off on your form, so please make sure you have that completed before turning in all of your paperwork to Student Leadership and Activities.  Your funds should be available for pick up within a week.

My club wants to get t-shirts or bring a speaker. Where do I find a list of resources?

  • The Student Leadership & Activities Office has a list of vendors and speakers.  See someone on the Third Floor of Campion to get a copy of that list.

Pizza Ordering Policy

  • Student groups wanting to order pizza (and have funds allocated in their SBAC budgets) are required to make orders through the Office of Student Leadership and Activities if they wish to have payment deducted directly from their group budget. All orders need to be placed by 4:00 PM daily. Order forms are available on-line by clicking here, or you can pick one up from the 3rd floor of Campion.
  • SLA has accounts with Tony Roni's, Bravo Pizza and Chris' Pizza. Menus for these vendors are kept at the student workers desk on the 3rd floor of Campion.
  • The student leader of the group is responsible for submitting the original delivery receipt following the event along with a completed Request for Funds form signed by the group's advisor. The Request for Funds form must be stapled to the front of delivery receipt and left in the "Leave Request for Funds here" tray on the wall behind Charmaine Walker's desk.
  • If students are not funded for pizza through SBAC, they are responsible for paying for orders upon delivery. No orders are authorized to be charged to department accounts.
  • Please contact Denine Super or Stacey Sottung if you have any questions or concerns.

Graphics Room

  • The graphics room is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm.  Helium tanks for balloon drops are located in the Graphics Room on the 3rd floor of Campion as well as in Simpson Hall, to the left of the door.  The graphics room and helium tanks will be available during the hours of 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday. The Simpson Hall Graphics Room is open from 7a-11p, 7 days a week.  There will be at $50 fine for lost helium tank nozzles. There is no charge for student groups to use the helium, but there will be a minimal maintenance charge for outside groups using helium. Please contact Student Leadership and Activities regarding the charge.

Mail Trays

  • All recognized student groups have a mail tray on the 3rd Floor of Campion.  Important information, flyers, announcements and all incoming mail is delivered to group mail trays.  Please make sure to check your mailbox at least once a week. 

Group e-mail alias

  • Each group and organization has an e-mail alias assigned to them.  Two officers in each organization are designated as recipients. This list of aliases is used for communication within and outside of, the Saint Joseph's University.  To maintain student privacy and limit the amount of SPAM a student group officer receives, no student names or e-mails will be given out to organizations outside of the University. The only e-mail that will be available is the group alias. Each year, as officers transition, the alias is changed over to the new officers after the Officer Registration Form is submitted.  

The following is from the Financial Affairs website:

*Vendors performing service to the University (ie. referees, speakers, performers, honorariums, etc.) are considered independent contractors. In order for their income to be reported to the Internal Revenue Service, an address and social security number is required on the Request for Funds form.

*The University is exempt from sales tax in Pennsylvania and other states. When sales tax is charged on an invoice, please deduct it and request a Pennsylvania Exemption Certificate from the Accounts Payable Department.

*No payments will be made from a statement.

*Manual checks are for emergency use only. All manuals must receive the approval of the Controller before being issued.

*Stop payments will be placed if a check does not reach its destination. A check will not be reissued until the Office of Financial Affairs has received official notification from the bank that the check has not been cashed.

* Taken from Education and Identity by Arthur W. Chickering and Linda Reisser, 1993