Center for International Programs

International Student Services

Current Students

Students in F-1 or J-1 status are responsible for learning, understanding, and complying with U.S. federal laws and regulations governing the F or J visa. Failure to do so will violate your legal status in the United States and will have serious consequences.

The advisors at the Center for International Programs will do their utmost to keep you informed.  However it is in your best interest to review the information in this website and ask questions whenever you have any questions or concerns.  In this section you will find information on:

Complete Printable International Student Handbook

Immigration Documents and Terminology

Maintaining Status

Reduced Course Load

F-1 Program Extension



On-Campus Work Permission

F-1 Curricular Practical Training

F-1 Optional Practical Training

F-1 Work Permission for Economic Necessity

J-1 Academic Training


Social Security

General Travel Information

Traveling to Canada or Mexico

Special Information for J visa holders

We'd like to thank our colleagues at Binghamton University, New York University and University of Pennsylvania for their assistance with certain sections of this website.