Please note that the following information is intended for students who are majoring in the College of Arts and Sciences. Procedures may vary for students who are majoring in the Haub School of Business. These students should consult with the HSB Leahy Advising Center. All forms may be downloaded from this site. Paper copies are also available in the Center for international Programs.
|Form Name||Advisor signature required||Chair signature required||Associate Dean signature required|
|Study Abroad Course Equivalency Approval||Yes||No||Yes (for CAS courses with unknown equivalencies)
|Study Abroad Summer Credit Approval||No||No||Yes (Dean for the course)
STUDY ABROAD SEMESTER - COURSE EQUIVALENCY APPROVAL
Upon acceptance to a study abroad program, all courses that a student plans to take during a study abroad semester must be approved prior to departure. For the SJU affiliated and approved programs, please consult the Academic Values Sheet maintained by the Center for International Programs (CIP) for a list of pre-approved courses for your particular program. Each student will need to complete the Study Abroad Course Equivalency Approval Form and submit it to CIP. This process must be completed in the semester preceding your Study Abroad semester. Be aware of your deadline!
For courses with a known equivalency:
Consult the Academic Values Sheet maintained in the CIP Office for your particular program to determine how the courses you intend to take will count at SJU.
For courses with an unknown equivalency:
For College of Arts & Sciences courses, The appropriate Associate Dean (e.g., the Dean for Humanities will review courses offered in the Humanities Departments such as theology, philosophy, English, etc.) will need to review a detailed course description and/or course syllabus in order to properly assign it an SJU equivalent. For Business courses, the approrpiate department chair will make this detemination. In general, course descriptions for study abroad courses can be found on the University website of the study abroad program. CIP must have copies of all course approvals.
Required Form: Study Abroad Course Equivalency Approval form (Also available at the CIP Office located at 183 City Avenue, across the street from Borgia Hall).
- Review the Academic Values Sheet for your particular program to identify courses that will fit with your curriculum during your Study Abroad semester. This sheet will help you to determine how the courses will count at SJU. This sheet can be obtained by emailing or visiting the CIP office.
- Discuss your course options for study abroad with your advisor. Obtain his/her approval and signature.
- Meet with a CIP staff member to obtain a signature verifying existing SJU equivalencies for courses you intend to take.
- For courses with unknown equivalencies
- For social science, humanities, or natural science & mathematics, submit a detailed course description and/or course syllabus for review to the CAS Dean's Office (BL 113).
- For Business Courses, submit a detailed course description and/or course syllabus for review to the appropriate department chair in the HSB. Obtain approval from the Associate Dean
- Return the original signed form and copies of course approvals to CIP.
- Retain a copy of the form and all course approvals for your records.
SUMMER STUDY ABORAD CREDIT APPROVAL
Students are encouraged to apply early, and should secure approval to study abroad before making any financial commitments to a program provider. The deadline for students to complete an Approval to Transfer Summer Study Abroad Credit Form is March 15 of the current calendar year. Credit is granted for courses completed in overseas programs only when the student has secured in advance written permission from the appropriate Associate Dean. For more information, see the CIP website.
Required Form: Approval to Transfer Summer Study Abroad Credit form also is available in the CIP Office located at 183 City Avenue (across the street from Borgia Hall).
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your plans to study abroad and how the courses you plan to complete while abroad will fit in your curriculum.
- Obtain course descriptions from the Study Abroad Program you are considering. Before you apply to the program, make an appointment with an advisor in the CIP. Students are required to obtain written approval from the CIP in order to participate in the selected program.
- Seek SJU equivalencies and obtain approval from the appropriate Associate Dean for all of the courses you plan to take while abroad.
- For social science, humanities, education, or natural science & mathematics, submit a detailed course description and/or course syllabus for review to the CAS Dean's Office (BL 113).
- Submit the completed Approval form to CIP and retain a copy for your records.