See below for complete descriptions of the forms and action steps for getting things done. Please note that the following information is intended for students who are majoring in the College of Arts and Sciences. Procedures may vary for students who are majoring in the Haub School of Business. HSB students should consult with the William F. Leahy Advising Center. All forms may be downloaded from this site. Paper copies are also available in the CAS Advising Support Center (BL 117) and Hawk Central (BL 121).
|Form Name||Advisor signature required||Chair signature required||Associate Dean signature required1|
|Withdrawal from a Course||Yes||No||No|
|Independent Study Request||Faculty Mentor Signature
||Yes (for the Course)
|Permission to take a course elsewhere||Yes||Yes (if taking a major or minor course)
Change from Credit to Audit
|Request Pass/No Penalty||No Approval Required
See the SJU Catalog for details
1. For forms requiring a signature from an Associate Dean in the College of Arts & Sciences (Humanities, Social Sciences, Education, Natural Sciences, Math & Computer Science), students may drop off their form in the CAS Advising Center, BL 117.
2. Associate Dean for the division in which your major is offered.
3. Associate Dean for the division in which the course is offered.
Detailed information for Course Forms:
Required Form: Course Overload Form
Steps to request permission to take a sixth course
- Complete the first portion of the request form indicating your reason for the overload.
- Meet with your faculty advisor to obtain his/her approval.
- Submit your form to the CAS Advising Center in Barbelin 117 to obtain the signature of the Associate Dean for your major
Required Form: Withdrawal from Course Form
Note: A request for withdrawal from a course made after the deadline to withdraw requires an extraordinary and unusual reason, the recommendation of the instructor, and the approval of the Associate Dean for the Division in which the course is offered. Please see the SJU Academic Calendar for the last day to withdraw from a course for the current semester. Students seeking an extraordinary withdrawal should go to their Advising Center for further information.
Required Form: Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere Form
Please note that students who are auditing a course are required to attend class and do regular assignments and exercises. They are not required to take the final exam or write a term paper. Exceeding the class cut policy determined by the instructor will result in the grade being changed from audit to withdrawal (W).
Required Form: Change from Credit to Audit form
Steps to request a course be changed from credit to audit:
- Meet with your instructor to discuss your reasons for changing from credit to audit and to obtain his/her recommendation.
- Obtain approval of Associate Dean of the Division in which the course is offered. For CAS classes, drop off the form in the CAS Advising Center (BL 117). For HSB classes, please see Associate Dean Patrick O'Brien (MV 289).
- Submit the original to Hawk Central (BL 121) and retain a copy for your records.
Required Form: Pass/No Penalty Form (available in Hawk Central (BL 121).
- Requests to use this option are made in Hawk Central (BL 121). No approvals are required. Retain a copy for your records.