Course Link pop-ups require javascript, but without, links simply open target page as expected
Header Photo

International Students

Application Instructions

International students (seeking or holding non-immigrant visas) intending degree-seeking study must complete the online Graduate application, ( along with all required credentials, supporting documents, and the required $35 USD application fee directly to the Graduate Operations Office. Suggested application deadlines for international students residing outside the United States are as follows:

Fall (August): April 15

Spring (January): October 15

Summer (May): February 15

International applicants for fall admission to the MS Biology program are strongly encouraged to apply by March 15th. All applicants to the MS Psychology program must complete their application by March 1st. The MS Psychology program admits new students in the fall semester only. All applicants for the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership program must complete their application by March 1st. The Ed.D. in Educational Leadership admits students on a cohort schedule which begins second summer session.. Visit individual program sections for further information on restrictions and required admissions documents. International applicants will receive an admissions decision only after all of the required documents are on file in the Graduate Operations Office. No decision will be made on incomplete files. All documents submitted in support of an application will become the property of the University and are not returnable.

Credential/Document Evaluations

International applicants are no longer required to submit a credentials evaluation—transcript evaluations will be performed by Graduate Operations. However, applicants already possessing a course-by-course evaluation of their transcripts are encouraged to submit this in place of original transcripts. For those who do not possess a course-by¬≠course evaluation, an official record of all college and university academic studies and results of state and/or national examinations taken are required. Academic records must include the name of each individual course, the grade earned, and the grading scale used. Documents must be submitted in one’s native language with an official English translation. The Graduate Operations Office performs all international credential evaluations. Foreign documents, credentials and transcripts must be official (sealed and sent directly from the institution). Only originals or photocopies officially stamped and attested by a school official (Registrar, Principle, or Controller of Examinations) are accepted. Faxes, scanned or notarized copies or copies attested by a department head cannot be accepted as official. All credentials submitted to the Graduate Operations Office become property of the University and cannot be returned.

English Proficiency

Students must provide evidence of English proficiency if their native spoken language is not English. Fulfillment of any one of the following requirements will satisfy English language proficiency requirements.

  • Submission of one of the following: TOEFL paper-based score of 550, computer-based score of 213, or internet-based score of 80. An IELTS score of 6.5 is also acceptable.
  • Possession of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree equivalent from a recognized institution located in a country where English is the native language.
  • Successful completion of Level 112 of the intensive program at an approved ELS Center accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the Academic Director. To find a list of approved ELS centers visit

Student Visa Status

International students applying for F or J visa status must also submit:

  • proof of their ability to meet their financial obligations while pursuing graduate studies at the University in the form of a letter from a bank stating that sufficient funds are available to finance all educational and living expenses for the first year of study;
  • a letter of financial support signed by the sponsoring person or agency and;

official test scores from either the GMAT/GRE/MAT for scholarship consideration.

The I-20 immigration form, necessary for securing an F-1 visa, or the DS-2019 form, necessary for securing a J-1 visa, is issued by the Center for International Programs only to a student who has been accepted to the University and provides current documentation of financial support, as required by US immigration authorities. International graduate students in F and J status must maintain full-time enrollment (9 credits) during both the fall and spring semesters.

The University observes all regulations of the student’s home country regarding foreign exchange.

All F-1 and J-1 international students must register for the Student Health insurance plan or show evidence of alternate, equivalent coverage. In most cases the plan provides coverage for one year beginning in late August. Students can obtain an insurance application form which must be completed and returned to the Center for International Programs. International students in any other immigration status can pick up an application from the Center for International Programs and return it with payment directly to the insurance company.

Individuals on a B non-immigrant visa (both B-1 business and B-2 pleasure visitors) are prohibited by immigration regulations from enrolling in a course of study while holding B status. He/she must first be granted a change to the appropriate student status by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Otherwise, the non-immigrant would be considered to be in violation of B status.

The F-2 spouse of an F-1 student may not engage in full time study. An F-2 child may only engage in full-time study if the study is in an elementary or secondary school. The F-2 spouse and child may engage in study that is a vocational or recreational in nature. To pursue any other type of studies, the F-2 must first be granted a change to the appropriate student status by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Otherwise, he/she would be considered to be in violation of F-2 status. The Center for International Programs does not consider part-time or full-time coursework leading to a degree to be a vocational or recreational in nature.