Course Link pop-ups require javascript, but without, links simply open target page as expected
Header Photo

Graduate (Masters Coursework):

Due to the large numbers of graduate catalog entries in certain areas of the university, it has been determined that graduate course numbers will follow this convention which is a modification of that approved by academic governance:

  • 500s: Lower-level graduate courses.
  • 600s & 700s: Upper-level graduate courses.
  • 800s: Courses open only to doctoral students.

Curriculum at the graduate level is typically divided along the lines of foundation, core, and major or specialization coursework. Some programs have a thesis/research course, some do not. Some programs have a capstone course, some do not. These items are defined as follows:

Foundation: that part of a graduate program that may be waived given a student’s prior undergraduate or graduate education. Waivers are granted at the time of admission to a given program. Transfer credit is not awarded for Foundation courses. Foundation courses cover fundamental concepts to the specific discipline. Foundation courses are not counted in the minimum credits needed to graduate.

Core: that part of a graduate program required of all students pursuing the degree. Core courses provide additional depth beyond foundation work for fundamental concepts in the specific discipline.

Major/Specialization: that part of a graduate program that allows the development of expertise in a specific area of interest.

Thesis/Research: a course designed to allow the student to pursue independent research with a faculty member in a specific area of interest within the discipline. Often, it serves as a prelude to doctoral study.

Capstone: a course that serves as the culmination of the academic program, pulling together concepts from across the entire discipline.

At the graduate level, the following numbers are proposed to classify each group and selected other course types appropriately:

Course Type

Course No.


500 to 549


550 to 599


600 to 785

Special Topics



791 & 792


793 & 794



Lab Courses

Add an "L" to the end of the number of the course to which the lab corresponds wherever possible (e.g. BIO 500L)

Transfer Courses without SJU equivalent

796 to 799 (graduate programs have transfer credit limitations; numbers are not used for regular SJU offerings)

Some additional notes about certain course types and offerings:

Independent Study: Special topic independent study courses can be offered using the Special Topics numbers outlined above. An independent study for an existing course can use the existing number. There is no need for special independent study numbers.

Graduation Requirement: Pennsylvania Department of Education regulations stipulate that a masters degree must be comprised of a minimum of 30 credits. Certain SJU programs have a minimum of more than 30. Commonly accepted academic protocol indicates that Foundation courses are not part of the announced minimum number of credits required to graduate. Foundation courses, if required, add to the student’s number of credits required to graduate.

Section Naming Conventions:

In order to readily identify different types of offerings, the following conventions be used when naming certain sections –

Section Type

Naming Convention


Undergrad Day Program

starts with "D"

"D01" , "D02" , etc.

College of Prof. & Liberal Studies (formerly UC)

starts with "P"

"P01" , "P02" , etc.

Graduate/Doctoral Programs

starts with "G"

"G01" , "G02" , etc.

Off-Campus Sections

starts with "X"

"XUR" - Ursinus



"XEN" - Einstien



"XSD" - Southeast Delco



N. B - Additional site abbreviations will be made by Registrar personnel as the schedule develops -- the codes will be on our website

Independent Study Sections

starts with "IS"

"IS1" , "IS2" , etc.


starts with "HN"

"HN1" , "HN2", etc.


starts with "OL"

as above


starts with "HY"

as above

Service Learning

starts with "SL"

as above

N.B. -- Additional abbreviations will be made as the schedule develops and will be posted comprehensively on the Registrar's Office webpage.