College of Arts & Sciences

Department of Teacher Education


How do I apply for the teacher certification program at SJU?

To be eligible for the teacher certification program, undergraduate students majoring in elementary or elementary/special education, or seeking a minor in secondary education, must:

  • complete a minimum of 47 credits (including 6 in English and 6 in Math) while maintaining a GPA of at least 3.0
  • complete the Schools in Society and Educational Psychology courses and their accompanying labs (maintaining a combined 2.7 GPA for both courses)
  • take and pass the Praxis I (PPST) Reading, Writing and Mathematics exams
  • and complete an "Application for Acceptance Into the Undergraduate Certification Program" form with their academic advisor.

Which Praxis exams should I take?

All students are required to take the Praxis I (PPST) Reading, Writing and Mathematics exams in order to apply for the teacher certification program at SJU. In addition to these three exams, to obtain certification

  • Elementary Education students take (after completing their education courses except student teaching):
    • Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
    • Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
  • Special Education students take (after completing their special education courses)
    • Education of Exceptional Students: Core Content Knowledge
  • Secondary Education students take (after completing most of their content area course work):
    • Subject Area (e.g., Mathematics or Physics): Content Knowledge

To learn more about the required Praxis exams, consult the PA Department of Education.
To register for the Praxis exams, consult ETS.

Can I obtain certification for another state besides Pennsylvania by completing the SJU program?

SJU can only recommend students for teacher certification to the Pennsylvania Department of Education in Harrisburg. Pennsylvania, however, has reciprocity agreements with a majority of states in the US. Pennsylvania certification is readily transferred to other states because of these agreements. To learn more, consult the PA Department of Education web page by clicking here.

Can I conduct my student teaching in another state?

The SJU Education Department places student teachers in public, parochial, and licensed private schools in numerous school districts throughout the Philadelphia Metropolitan Area (including New Jersey). Student teaching placements, however, must be within reasonable commuting distance of SJU and meet the requirements established by the PA Department of Education. Students with special circumstances should contact the Director of Student Teaching and Field Placements at (610) 660-3242.