Our program is designed for creative learners who are enthusiastic about discovering mathematics. We believe that when smart kids are exposed to interesting math topics through guided self-discovery activities, the result is a good deal of learning and fun. Participants will:
- Learn about fractals by competing to make the best fractal movie.
- Construct models of polyheda and explore their symmetries.
- Compete at the game of dodge ball in order to understand Cantor’s proof that there are different sizes of infinity.
- Compute the probabilities of being dealt different poker hands.
- Solve optimization problems related to the shapes of bubbles.
- Study prime numbers and modular arithmetic.
- Work together to do what mathematicians do: explore an intriguing phenomenon, formulate precise conjectures about the underlying patterns, and eventually prove beautiful theorems.