The Department of Mathematics offers several programs for students interested in secondary mathematics education. A full range of graduate courses in mathematics and mathematics education are available, designed for students interested in careers in secondary school mathematics teaching. These courses are designed to satisfy the requirements for Pennsylvania Secondary Mathematics Teaching Certification and for obtaining a Masters Degree in Education or in Mathematics Education as well as for practicing teachings looking for an advanced degree. These courses are denoted with the prefix MED. A full list of courses can be found in the Graduate A&S catalog under MED. There are several programs available at Saint Joseph’s University for students interested in a career teaching high school mathematics.
Scholarship and Internship Possiblities
SJU has been awarded a Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF). This grant provides both tuition scholarships and summer internship possibilities for students. Scholarships are available for students in the 5-year BS/MS program in Mathematics and Mathematics Education. Summer internships are available for mathematics majors in the summer after their freshman or sophomore year.
Programs for SJU Undergraduates
- Students wishing to obtain Pennsylvania Secondary Teaching Certification in Mathematics can major in Mathematics and minor in Education. With careful planning this can be done in the four undergraduate years. This program allows for no electives.
- Students can also apply to the 5-year combined BS in Mathematics and MS in Mathematics Education Program. Students major in Mathematics and fulfill some, but not all, requirements for an Education minor during their four undergraduate years. They then complete a 30 credit Masters program during the summer, fall and spring of the fifth year.
Typical course sequence recommendations are available for both programs.
Certification and Masters Programs
- The Department of Mathematics offers an MS program in Mathematics Education (without certification) designed for practicing teachers. Students take a sequence of 30 credits designed to enhance their teaching practice.
- The Department of Teacher Education offers a Certification Program for students with a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics or another discipline who are interested in PA Certification for secondary mathematics. Students in this program may be required to take certain mathematics courses to meet state requirements. The department offers several MED mathematics courses on a rotating basis to meet these needs. This program is open to SJU graduates as well as graduates of other institutions.
- The Department of Teacher Education also offers a Masters Program with or without certification, for students with a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics or another discipline. Students in this program may be required to take certain mathematics courses to meet state requirements. The department offers several MED mathematics courses on a rotating basis to meet these needs. Also, MED courses in mathematics education may be taken to fulfill elective requirements of this program. This program is open to SJU graduates as well as graduates of other institutions.
Dr. Tetyana Berezovski
Director, Mathematics Education Programs