Saint Joseph's University offers a dynamic environment of academic preeminence and practical learning which provides an unparalled educational experience for students. The Education Department's flexible graduate program is designed to meet the diverse professional needs of educators who aspire to become leaders in their field. Through rigorous coursework and field experience, our program prepares individuals to become strong and effective leaders in challenging educational environments. Our expert faculty members have not only earned distinction in their respective fields, but are known for cultivating a highly collaborative atmosphere sensitive to students' personal and professional needs.
Saint Joseph's University's Education Unit is dedicated to preparing exemplary teachers, educational leaders, and educational researchers. The department, in cooperation with colleagues in other departments, local school districts, and educational leaders, seeks to promote a vibrant intellectual community. Our program is recognized for preparing graduates to be exemplary educational leaders who are committed to social justice, contribute outstanding professional service and outreach, and perform research that enhances educational theory, practice and beyond.
Degree and Certification Requirements
36 Graduate Credits are required. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible to obtain Pennsylvania certification as a principal for grades K-12 and/or as a supervisor of curriculum and instruction, the latter being appropriate for one or more content areas.
Click here to view course descriptions.
- A completed Saint Joseph's University graduate online application.
- $35 application fee.*
- Official sealed transcript(s) of undergraduate work.
- Valid teaching certificate.
- Five years full-time teaching experience (by the time the degree is awarded).
- Personal statement--a letter of intention outlining the candidate's professional goals and educational objectives for attending the program of their choice.
- Two letters of recommendations.**
- An interview may be required at the discretion of the Program Director.
- Portfolio items (required for Principal Certification Program):
- Essay concerning how principals shape learning in their schools
- Resume that includes evidence of leadership potential (other leadership roles)
- Applicant's educational philosophy
- A written description of a problem based learning activity.
* The $35 application fee will be waived for all applicants that attend a Graduate Studies Open House and complete the online satisfaction survey or are SJU alums.
** If pursuing the program leading to Principal Certification eligibility, recommendations must be from school district administrators; one of which must be from the applicant's supervising administrator. Both letters must substantiate the candidate's leadership potential and qualifications to become a school administrator.