William Madges, Ph.D.
After teaching at Xavier University for more than 20 years, Dr. Madges came to SJU in 2006 to become the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. He left that position in 2013 in order to return to teaching and research in theology. He continues to serve as co-director of a multimedia traveling exhibit, A Blessing to One Another: Pope John Paul II and the Jewish People, which has been seen by more than one million people in the U.S. and will be on exhibit at the Vatican in 2015.
Member of the Catholic Theological Society of America and the College Theology Society
- Faith, Justice & the Catholic Tradition
- Can Only One Religion Be True?
- The Gospel of the Family, by Walter Cardinal Kasper (Paulist Press: 2014). (Translator)
- Mercy: The Essence of the Gospel and the Key to Christian Life, by Walter Cardinal Kasper (Paulist Press: 2014). (Translator)
- Vatican II: Fifty Personal Stories. Co-edited with Michael J. Daley. (Orbis Books, 2012).
- Vatican II: Forty Years Later, the Annual Publication of the College Theology Society, vol. 51, (Orbis Books, 2006). (Editor)
- The Many Marks of the Church, co-edited with Michael J. Daley (Bayard/Twenty-Third Publications, 2006).
- God and the World. (Orbis Books, 1999).
Grants and Awards
- 2013 Second Place Award from the Catholic Press Association for co-edited book, Vatican II: Fifty Personal Stories (Orbis Books).
- 2008 Eternal Light Award, presented by The Center for Catholic-Jewish Studies (St. Leo, Florida) for “outstanding contributions in the cause of interfaith relations and human rights”
- 1999 Fulbright Senior Scholar, University of Tübingen, Germany
- 1992 National Endowment for the Humanities Research Award
- 1991 Best Educational Book Award from the Catholic Press Association for co-authored Faith, Religion, Theology: A Contemporary Introduction (Twenty-Third Publications)
History of Christian theology, Vatican II
Mentioned in SJU News