Tim Swift, Ph.D.
Office: Mandeville 228
Phone: (610) 660-1655
Fax: (610) 660-1229
- B.A. (with Honors), Rutgers the State University of New Jersey (1988)
- M.B.A., Drexel University (1990)
- Ph.D., Temple University (2008)
- Dissertation topic: Creative Destruction in R&D: On the Relationship between R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Performance (Chair: Dr. Ram Mudambi)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Management, Haub School of Business, St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia PA (2008 to current)
- Instructor, Temple University, Philadelphia PA (2005 to 2008)
- Taught MBA and undergraduate Business Policy, the capstone course in the Fox School program.
- Instructor, Rutgers University, Camden NJ (2007 to 2008)
- Taught International Business course.
- Research Associate, Temple University, Philadelphia PA (2004 to 2008)
- Instructor, Drexel University, Philadelphia PA (1989 to 1990) Taught Principles of Economics.
- Telecordia Technologies, Piscataway, NJ (2004)
- Served as Director -level advisor to Vice President of Product Management on the formation of new Wireless product management group.
- Unisys Corporation, Blue Bell, PA (1999 to 2004)
- Served in a variety of Director-level positions, including corporate e-business strategy, product management for ASP solutions, and North American lead for Market Source Consulting Practice.
- AT&T Corporation, Basking Ridge, NJ (1990 to 1999)
- Rose from first-level Manager to District Manager in four years. Participated in AT&T's Leadership Continuity Program, a development program for high-potential managers. Held a broad array of senior management positions in international corporate development, strategy, finance, marketing and forecasting.
Refereed Journal Articles
Knowing When to Leap: Transitioning between Exploitative and Exploratory R&D. (with R. Mudambi) Strategic Management Journal, 35: 126-145, 2014.
R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Performance: Organizational and Environmental Contexts. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 10(4), 2013..
Multinational Enterprises and the Geographical Clustering of Innovation. (with R. Mudambi) Industry and Innovation, 19(1): 1-21, 2012.
Leveraging Knowledge and Competencies across Space: The Next Frontier in International Business. (with R. Mudambi) Journal of International Management 17(3), 2011.
Proactive R&D Management and Firm Growth: A Punctuated Equilibrium Model. (with R. Mudambi) Research Policy 40: 429-440, 2011.
Professional Guilds, Tension and Knowledge Management. (with R. Mudambi) Research Policy 38(5): 636-745, 2009.
Business Leaders Speak Out: Their Real Strategic Problems. (with H.D. Hopkins) Journal of Business Strategy 29(5): 32-37, 2008.
Banking Deregulation, Punctuated Equilibrium and Early Mover Advantage. (with H.D. Hopkins) European Journal of Scientific Research 22(4), 2008.
Technology Clusters and Multinational Enterprise R&D Strategy. (with R. Mudambi) In T. Devinney, T. Pedersen, and L. Tihanyi (Ed.) Advances in International Management: The Past, Present and Future of International Business and Management. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2011.
Competitive Dynamics in High-Technology Industries. (with R. Mudambi) In V. K. Narayanan and O'Connor (Ed.) Encyclopedia on Technology and Innovation Management. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
Review of Business Elites and Corporate Governance in France and the UK, by Mairi Maclean, Charles Harvey and Jon Press. JIBS Book Reviews, December 19, 2006 < http://aib.msu.edu/jibs/bookreviews/html/2006-08.asp>
R&D Expenditure Volatility As an Indicator of Effective Corporate Governance (under review)
R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Performance: Organizational and Industry Contexts (under review)
R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Innovation (with R. Mudambi, under review)
Domain Expertise, Incremental Innovation and Proactive R&D Management
Boundary Spanners and the Nature of Innovation
R&D Expenditure Volatility as a Form of Information Disclosure, Academy of Management, 2011
Domain Expertise, Incremental Innovation and Proactive R&D Management, Academy of Management, 2010
Open Innovation and the Architecture of the Entrepreneurial Firm, Strategic Management Society, Summer 2010
Domain Expertise, Innovation and R&D Expenditure Volatility, Temple and Duke Universities International Business Research Forum, 2008
R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Performance: Firm and Industry Contexts, Academy of Management 2008
R&D Project Entrenchment, Academy of Management 2007
Banking Deregulation, Bank Strategies, and Bank Performance, Academy of Management 2007
Professional Guilds and Knowledge Management, Academy of Management 2006
Faculty Expert Profile
Expertise: Technology and Innovation, Business Case Development