Tim Swift, Ph.D.
Discipline Taught: Managing Human Capital
Office: Mandeville 380
Phone: (610) 660-1655
Fax: (610) 660-1229
- B.A. (with Honors), Rutgers the State University of New Jersey (1988)
- M.B.A., Drexel University (1990)
- Ph.D., Temple University (2008)
- Dissertation topic: Creative Destruction in R&D: On the Relationship between R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Performance (Chair: Dr. Ram Mudambi)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Management, Haub School of Business, St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia PA (2008 to current)
- Instructor, Temple University, Philadelphia PA (2005 to 2008)
- Taught MBA and undergraduate Business Policy, the capstone course in the Fox School program.
- Instructor, Rutgers University, Camden NJ (2007 to 2008)
- Taught International Business course.
- Research Associate, Temple University, Philadelphia PA (2004 to 2008)
- Instructor, Drexel University, Philadelphia PA (1989 to 1990) Taught Principles of Economics.
- Telecordia Technologies, Piscataway, NJ (2004)
- Served as Director -level advisor to Vice President of Product Management on the formation of new Wireless product management group.
- Unisys Corporation, Blue Bell, PA (1999 to 2004)
- Served in a variety of Director-level positions, including corporate e-business strategy, product management for ASP solutions, and North American lead for Market Source Consulting Practice.
- AT&T Corporation, Basking Ridge, NJ (1990 to 1999)
- Rose from first-level Manager to District Manager in four years. Participated in AT&T's Leadership Continuity Program, a development program for high-potential managers. Held a broad array of senior management positions in international corporate development, strategy, finance, marketing and forecasting.
Refereed Journal Articles
Knowing When to Leap: Transitioning between Exploitative and Exploratory R&D. (with R. Mudambi) Strategic Management Journal forthcoming, 2013.
R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Performance: Organizational and Environmental Contexts. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, forthcoming, 2013.
Multinational Enterprises and the Geographical Clustering of Innovation. (with R. Mudambi) Industry and Innovation, forthcoming, 2012.
Leveraging Knowledge and Competencies across Space: The Next Frontier in International Business. (with R. Mudambi) Journal of International Management 17(3), 2011.
Proactive R&D Management and Firm Growth: A Punctuated Equilibrium Model. (with R. Mudambi) Research Policy 40: 429-440, 2011.
Professional Guilds, Tension and Knowledge Management. (with R. Mudambi) Research Policy 38(5): 636-745, 2009.
Business Leaders Speak Out: Their Real Strategic Problems. (with H.D. Hopkins) Journal of Business Strategy 29(5): 32-37, 2008.
Banking Deregulation, Punctuated Equilibrium and Early Mover Advantage. (with H.D. Hopkins) European Journal of Scientific Research 22(4), 2008.
Technology Clusters and Multinational Enterprise R&D Strategy. (with R. Mudambi) In T. Devinney, T. Pedersen, and L. Tihanyi (Ed.) Advances in International Management: The Past, Present and Future of International Business and Management. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2011.
Competitive Dynamics in High-Technology Industries. (with R. Mudambi) In V. K. Narayanan and O'Connor (Ed.) Encyclopedia on Technology and Innovation Management. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
Review of Business Elites and Corporate Governance in France and the UK, by Mairi Maclean, Charles Harvey and Jon Press. JIBS Book Reviews, December 19, 2006 < http://aib.msu.edu/jibs/bookreviews/html/2006-08.asp>
R&D Expenditure Volatility As an Indicator of Effective Corporate Governance (under review)
R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Performance: Organizational and Industry Contexts (under review)
R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Innovation (with R. Mudambi, under review)
Domain Expertise, Incremental Innovation and Proactive R&D Management
Boundary Spanners and the Nature of Innovation
R&D Expenditure Volatility as a Form of Information Disclosure, Academy of Management, 2011
Domain Expertise, Incremental Innovation and Proactive R&D Management, Academy of Management, 2010
Open Innovation and the Architecture of the Entrepreneurial Firm, Strategic Management Society, Summer 2010
Domain Expertise, Innovation and R&D Expenditure Volatility, Temple and Duke Universities International Business Research Forum, 2008
R&D Expenditure Volatility and Firm Performance: Firm and Industry Contexts, Academy of Management 2008
R&D Project Entrenchment, Academy of Management 2007
Banking Deregulation, Bank Strategies, and Bank Performance, Academy of Management 2007
Professional Guilds and Knowledge Management, Academy of Management 2006
Faculty Expert Profile
Expertise: Technology and Innovation, Business Case Development