Sangcheol Song, Ph.D.
Office: Mandeville 356
Phone: (610) 660-2241
Fax: (610) 660-1229
- Cultural Diversity and International business (undergraduate)
- Introduction to International Business (undergraduate)
- International Management (undergraduate)
- Business Policy (Undergraduate)
- International Management (MBA)
- Global Business Strategy (MBA)
- Managing International Strategic Alliances (MBA)
* Corresponding author in a non-first-authored paper
Selected SSCI Journal Articles
- Lee S, Song S*. 2012. Host country uncertainty, intra-MNC production shifts, and subsidiary performance. Strategic Management Journal, 33(11): 1331-1340.
- Zeng Y, Shenkar O, Lee S-H, Song S. 2013. Cultural differences, the MNE's learning ability, and the effect of experience on subsidiary mortality in a dissimilar culture: Evidence from Korean MNEs. Journal of International Business Studies, 44(1): 41-65.
- Zeng Y, Shenkar O, Song S, Lee S-H. 2013. FDI experience and subsidiary mortality: Differences in national culture and the expansion of Korean MNEs. Management International Review, 53(3): 477-509.
- Song S. 2013. FDI structure, investment specificity, and multinational flexibility value under market uncertainty. Management International Review , 53(6): 795-817.
- Lee S-H, Peng MW, Song S*. 2013. Governments, entrepreneurs, and positive externalities: A real options perspective. European Management Journal, 31: 333-347.
- Song S. 2014. Investment irreversibility and longevity of MNC foreign subsidiaries: The moderating effect of host market uncertainty. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 31(2): 455-471
- Song S. 2014. Foreign subsidiary divestment: The role of multinational flexibility. Management International Review, 54(1): 47-70.
- Song S. 2014. Unfavorable market conditions, Institutional and financial development, and exits of small foreign subsidiaries. Journal of International Management, 203: 279-289.
- Song S, Lee S-H, Makhija M. Operational hedging in foreign direct investment under volatile and divergent exchange rates across countries. Journal of World Business, Forthcoming.
- Park Y-R, Song S*, Choe S, Paik Y. Gaining legitimacy in international business: Strategic corporate social responsibility of multinational corporations. Journal of Business Ethics, forthcoming.
- Song S. Inter-country exchange rates and intra-firm trade flows within global network of multinational corporations. Management International Review, forthcoming.
- Song S. Exchange Rate Challenges, flexible Intra-firm adjustment and subsidiary longevity. Journal of World Business, forthcoming.
Best Paper Proceedings
- Song S. 2007. Two contradictory effects of prior experience on early exits of partially-owned firms. Best paper proceedings, Hayes graduate research forum, The Ohio State University.
- Song S, Makhija M, Lee S., 2008. Growth and switching options in foreign direct investment. Best Paper Proceedings: The Academy of Management, Anneheim, USA
- Zeng Y, Shenkar O, Song S, Lee S. 2009. Cultural differences, location of prior FDI experience and survival of subsequent projects: The case of Korean MNEs. Best Paper Proceedings: The Academy of International Business, San Diego, USA.
- Song S. 2014. Value and cost of multinationality: Comparing international diversification and real options effects. Outstanding research paper Proceedings: Global Conference on Business and Finance Research, Hawaii, USA.
Grants and Awards
· Samsung Distinguished Paper Award, The Academy of Management (2008)
· SSK Research fund, The Sustainability of Korean Management in the Global Market: Competitiveness and CSR, The National Research Foundation of Korea (2012)
· Summer Research Grant, Saint Joseph's University (2013)
· Referred Article Award, HAUB School of Business, Saint Joseph's University (2013-2014)
· Faculty Research Merit Award, Saint Joseph's University (2013)
· Outstanding Research Award. Global Conference on Business and Finance Research (2014)
· Teaching Innovation Award, Middle Atlantic Association of Colleges of Business Administration (MAACBA) (2014)
External uncertainty and multinational flexibility
Entry and exit strategies in the international business area
International strategic alliances and joint ventures
Organizational learning in foreign direct investment