Anthony James Joes Ph.D
Discipline Taught: Political Science
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania 1970
- A.B., Saint Joseph's University
Anthony James Joes appointed to faculty of Saint Joseph's University, 1969; full professor, 1980. Visiting Professor, Department of National Security and Strategy, U.S. Army War College, 2001-2003.
- Chair, Department of Political Science (1992-1996)
- Director, International Relations Program (1972-2002)
- Chair, Faculty Affairs Committee
- Chair, Faculty Research Board
- Board on Rank and Tenure
- Steering Committee, Middle States Evaluation
- Executive Committee, Faculty Senate
- Educational Policy Committee
- Victorious Insurgencies: Four Rebellions that Shaped Our World (University of Kentucky, 2010).
- Urban Guerrilla Warfare (University of Kentucky, 2007) Selected as a "Significant University Press Title for Undergraduates" by Choice (American Library Association), July 2007.
- Resisting Rebellion: The Politics of Counterinsurgency (University of Kentucky, 2004).
- America and Guerrilla Warfare (University of Kentucky, 2000). Choice Magazine outstanding academic title award, 2002.
- Guerilla Warfare: A Historical, Biographical and Bibliographical Sourcebook (Greenwood, 1996)
- Guerrilla Conflict Before the Cold War (Praeger, 1996)
- Modern Guerrilla Insurgency (Praeger, 1992)
- The War for South Viet Nam (Praeger1989; second edition 2000)
- From the Barrel of a Gun: Armies and Revolutions (Pergamon-Brassey's, 1986)
- Mussolini: A Political Portrait (Franklin Watts, 1982)
- Fascism in the Contemporary World (Westview, 1978)
- Beyond Declaring Victory and Coming Home: The Challenges of Peace and Stability Operations [Contributing Editor] (Praeger, 2000)
- Saving Democracies: U.S. Intervention in Threatened Democratic States [Contributing Editor] (Praeger, 1999)
- Encyclopedia of Violence, Peace and Conflict (Academic Press, 1999, Revised edition 2009)
- American Politics (Prentice-Hall, 1997)
- Political Parties of Europe (Greenwood, 1983)
- Eisenhower: Soldier, President, Statesman (Greenwood, 1987)
MOST RECENT ARTICLES
- "Insurgency and Genocide: The Vendee," Small Wars and Insurgencies (Winter, 1998)
- "After Appomattox: The Guerrilla War That Never Was, "Small Wars and Insurgencies (Fall, 1997)
- "Continuity and Change in Guerrilla Warfare: The Spanish and Afghan Cases," Journal of Conflict Studies (Fall 1996)
Other articles in Comparative Political Studies, Illinois Quarterly, Intervento (Rome), Orbis, Journal of Defense and Diplomacy, Presidential Studies Quarterly, and Transaction/Society.
Book reviews in American Political Science Review, The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, Conflict Quarterly, The Historian, Intelligence and National Security, Journal of Conflict Studies, New York Review of Books, Parameters, Worldview.
Grants and Awards
- Lindback Foundation Award for Distinguished Teaching
- Tengelmann Award for Teaching and Research