Anthony J. Berret, S.J.
Office: Merion Hall 187
Phone: (610) 660-1893
- B.A., Fordham University, 1964
- M.A., Fordham University, 1967
- M.Div. Woodstock College, 1971
- Ph.D. Johns Hopkins University, 1981
General Fields of Professional Interest
American literature, 1865-1940
The connection between music and literature in the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Toni Morrison
Equally divided among lecture, discussion (small and large groups), and presentation (records, slides, student reports).
Member MLA, ALA, Mark Twain Circle of America, F. Scott
Fitzgerald society; on sabbatical leave 1999-2000.
- English 1011 (The Craft of Language)
- English 1021 (Texts and Contexts)
- English 1091 (Major American Writers)
- English 2411 (American Romantic and Transcendental Literature)
- English 2421 (American Literature, 1865-1915)
- English 2701 ( Mark Twain and  Fitzgerald and Hemingway)
- English 2751 (20th Century American Novel)
"Jazz: From Music to Literature," in Approaches to Teaching the Novels of Toni Morrison(New York: MLA, 1997)
"The Great Gatsby: A Musical Soundtrack" [conference paper]; F. Scott Fitzgerald Centennial Conference, Princeton University, September 1996 Mark Twain and Shakespeare (Lanham: University Press of America, 1993) "Toni Morrison's Literary Jazz," CLA Journal" 32.3 (1989): 267-83 Huckleberry Finn and the Minstrel Show," American Studies 27.2 (1986): 37-49
Faculty Expert Profile
Expertise: Mark Twain, F. Scott Fitzgerald